GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) as a common identifier of construction products, will start apply on 1 July 2022. Behind the requirement are the nationwide building contractors (NCC, Peab, Skanska, JM, Veidekke, Byggmaterialindustrierna, Byggmaterialhandlarna and BIM Alliance).
The recommendation was announced today in a press release from the leading construction contractors. The background is a decision from 2018, when the industry agreed to use GTIN for construction products.
Read the press release
The decision enables traceability in the construction process as unique data can be linked to each product in the digital information flow.
It is now time for all companies to jointly take responsibility for traceability in the construction industry for a more efficient and sustainable urban development.
GTIN (Global Trade Item Number)
GTIN är ett standardiserat artikelnummer som används för att artiklar ska få en globalt unik identitet. Med GTIN som bas skapas streckkoder och 2D-koder som sedan kan läsas av med en skanner.
The need for an active industry
The construction contractors have identified some important keys to success in the introduction of GTIN 2022. All parties in the industry now need to work actively to:
- GTIN shall be operationally available in business relations and internal processes
- producers and suppliers should always have GTIN on their construction products
- complies with GTIN regulations and connects trade item information and data
- assessment and certification companies and other product information database owners, use GTIN as a mandatory, quality-assured information and identifier
- business and IT systems can manage and communicate GTIN
Here you will find more information about GTIN for construction products, how to order and create unique numbers, regulations for GTIN and much more.