The Global Location Number (GLN) is a unique number used by companies to identify;
- physical locations such as delivery points, warehouses, warehouse gates
- operational locations – such as EDI mailboxes, Electronic Product Code / (EPC/RFID) read point
- party – any legal entity or organisation: such as company operating in the supply chain including suppliers, customers, and financial services.
- A uniquely identified warehouse gate give information of where the pallet is located.
- A hospital bed can be identified for better monitoring and follow-up.
- A company in the supply chain can be identified (for example, manufacturer, warehouse or head quarter).
Who uses GLN?
Companies and organisations in grocery, retail, marketplaces, foodservice, transport and logistics and the public sector use location numbers to improve the efficiency of communication with trading partners. This ensures that products, goods and invoice information ends up in the right place.
The benefits for users
Global location numbers makes electronic commerce more effective as the information between trading partners is streamlined. GLN helps the parties ensure that;
- products, goods and invoice information end up in the right place
- communication between trading partners is automated
- companies get better control of their supply chain information
- companies save time and reduce the number of errors when identification is quickly and accurately
- time optimization when name, address etc. only need to be communicated once
- the foundation for working with traceability is in place
How to use it
You can use Global location numbers to identify your company in various electronic commerce systems. Procurers may sometimes require suppliers to have a GLN number.
Get your GLN numbers
You who want to start using global location numbers can choose between two subscriptions that are adapted to the needs of different markets and target groups.
GS1 Company Prefix
For you who need to create number series from GS1 *. Buyers and sellers can use GLN and all other GS1 standards to identify, capture and share information about products, locations, parties, packages and more.
* For the GS1 Company Prefix subscription, a main GLN is generated and entered in our number information service. With more than one company prefix, the same main GLN applies to all.